Sunday, July 1, 2007

On the Front Page

Funny story:

Okay, so Monday June 25th, Girls Camp, we (44 girls, 10 leaders and I) have just arrived at the YMCA Of the Rockies Snow Mountain Ranch. We are having a wonderful time in our own cabin and the girls are playing games and getting to know each other. After two hours of being in the cabin we are chased out by a fire that has started about 100 feet from us. We evacuate the girls and move our vehicles, only to see now what had started as minimal flames to a full blown wildfire raging above the trees with black smoke everywhere moving towards our cabin! (Anyways, if you want the full story, you'll have to call me for it.) We watched as several emergency vehicles came in and of course media people come in. There were helicopters flying overhead and it seemed only reasonable for the media people to come and talk to someone from our group since we were the ones to report the fire and were the most put out by it. Alas, no one was interested...so I thought. The next day we woke up (obviously not in the cabin) we realize that because of the poor air quality and having some girls with asthma, we cannot stay there at Snow Mountain. So we decide to move over to the YMCA of the Rockies over in Estes Park about 70 miles away. We made the trek over there. We arrived there to find that our rooms were not ready so we took the girls over to the pool. After being there for 20 mins, the lifeguard blows the whistle and tells everyone they need to get out of the pool and leave the building due to lightening (the building had a metal roof - of course they did!). After feeling we cannot catch a break at Girls Camp another director informs us that the activities that we had planned at Snow Mountain, we can do here. The girls were very excited. The next day they would be in groups for archery, the climbing wall and the high ropes/zip line. In charge of the zip line group I escorted the very excited girls to their activity. They donned on their gear and practiced on the low ropes. When it came time for the high ropes and zip, what else could happen but lightening AGAIN!! Oh, these girls were so disappointed. We waited half an hour to see if it would clear, but it didn't, and they wouldn't get their chance. As a leader, by now, I just had to laugh and tell the girls that they would never forget this camp. We'd been chased out by a fire (it ended up completely surrounding the cabin - I wish I had my camera!) then the lightening had prevented us from any activities we wanted to do. Luckily that morning we had snuck our hike in. Anwyays, that night as the Bishops from the three wards came up for the last night and testimony meeting, one of the bishops that had helped me and some other leaders clear out the cabin brought me a clip of the front page of the Denver Post Newspaper. It was me! I was carrying out pillows and bags from our cabin with two fire personnelle further down digging about the smoldering ground. WOW!! After "whining" that we were the group that the media should be talking to, there I was, on the front page! I was so embarrassed!

4 comments:

Grandpa - Grandma Livingstone said...

What a harrowing experience! We're so glad you are safe. We would love to see the picture. (Make sure you write it in your journal.) We can hardly wait to see all of you. Love you.

Charisse said...

That is so funny! I am glad i got to hear it from you on the phone. We are glad no one got hurt. Love you guys!!

Christina said...

Do you have a copy of the article? You have to post the picture. How scary for you and the girls.

Marcie said...

That is a riot Honey! Those poor girls! I hope you guys got your money back for the cabin. I remember you telling me how much it was going to cost! Love that you were on the front page!!!! I would love to see that picture! You need to scan it in and post it for us all. Love you guys!