Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Perfect for Fall - Butternut Squash Bisque

Ryan found this recipe a year or two ago on Allrecipes. We had it again on Sunday. It takes some time, but you have to try it - you won't be sorry!

Look at that pretty color.

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced carrots
4 cups peeled and cubed butternut squash
3 cups vegetable stock
salt and ground black pepper to taste
ground nutmeg to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)

Directions:
  1. Heat the oil and melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the onion in the butter and oil under tender.
  2. Mix the carrots and squash into the pot. Pour in vegetable stock, and season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until vegetables are tender.
  3. In a blender or food processor, puree the soup mixture until smooth. Return to the pot, and stir in the heavy cream. Heat through, but do not boil. Serve warm with a dash of nutmeg.

7 comments:

Kent and Kate said...

Thank you! I love new recipes.

Charisse said...

That looks and sounds so good. Maybe I will try it for the soup and scoup!

Christina said...

Yum! Looks good. Do you guys cook your squash in the oven?

Honey said...

Christina, we usually boil it, but this past time we cooked the squash in the oven. I think I like it better that way, too.

Maggie said...

holy cow, I might have to try that- it looks awesome.

Christina said...

We made it tonight - it was great! Thanks for the recipe :)

Natalie Warner said...

WOW! What a great homemaker you are. That soup looks delicious! I wish I could come to Lorianne's on Friday to learn to cook fish. We miss the ward so much. It looks like your family is doing great. What a beautiful bunch of kids you've got there.