The day before, I sat in Fast and Testimony meeting and wondered if there was even a possibility that the next day, I would find out there was something wrong with this tiny babe inside of me. I had no reason to think that there would be anything wrong - all my other pregnancies and deliveries were flawless. But, this time, I knew I had only felt the baby move twice - right at 16 weeks and then not feeling that grapefruit ball in my abdomen. But, when every other pregnancy had been fine - with little worries, I would be just fine and the ultrasound would confirm it. But, I still felt that dark uncertainty.
It was 2 days before my 20 week mark and I had moved the ultrasound date up a week as Ryan was going to be out of town the following week (who wants to wait longer than they have to?). Ryan met me at the doctor's office, and Kaycee and Lucy played with the toys while we waited out turn. I sat there incredibly worried and scared, but tried to push it back.
The technician called my name.
We shuffled back the room, found our places and the tech put with warm gel on my stomach. My heart was pounding as the baby showed up on screen.
The room was dark and quiet, an uncomfortable quiet. Even, the small girls were quiet. My heart jumped a little as the tech quickly measured the baby's head: 16w 5days. But, I was almost 20 weeks? My mind flashed back to my last appointment, 17 weeks. I sat up from hearing the heartbeat and asked the doctor if I was measuring okay, I felt I wasn't growing like I had with the others. She said " no, you look fine. Good for 13 weeks." "But, I'm 17 weeks." "Oh, your other girls measured small, you probably measuring smaller again."
Back in the dark ultrasound room, I felt the lump building in my throat. The tech did a couple more measurements and I was trying so hard to feel calm. Then she broke the silence.
"Honey, have you been feeling the baby move?"
"No."
"I can't find a heart beat. I'm so sorry. I'll go get Nicole."
My arm immediately flung over my eyes and I started to sob. My worst fear confirmed. Confirmed. There was something wrong. Our baby had died.
Remembering I wasn't alone in the room, I looked over at Ryan. His hand was under his glasses pressing into his eyes. I felt so sad. So sad for him. I felt as though I may have been prepared for this news, but he had no clue what was coming.
Nicole, our nurse practitioner came in and was so compassionate and sincere. She teared up with us and asked if I had thought anything was wrong. I told her I should have called her sooner. She shook her head and said that mothers usually know when something is wrong and that even calling in wouldn't have helped. I asked her what was next. She told us that I'd have to deliver. My heart sank. I knew the little baby was dead and yet the thought of actually having to deliver was so incredibly overwhelming. We cried. Nicole and the tech told us we could stay as long as we wanted in that room, to leave when we felt ready. It was a relief not see any faces as we left the doctor's office.
We walked weighed down to the van. Ryan's truck was parked across the way. We got into the van and looked at each other with tear-streamed faces. We didn't have to say anything as we both just wondered how we were going to tell Kaycee and Lucy and then Rylee and Clay. Once we had to say it out loud, that we wouldn't get to bring this baby home, grief and sadness overcame us again. The girls were quiet and I'm sure confused as their parents were so heart-broken.
After a few minutes in the van, I watched Ryan go to his truck, call his boss and tell her that he wouldn't be coming back that day. I watched him again as he brought his hand to his face. I then thought of calling my mom.
I dialed her number and listened as she cheerfully said "Hi, pretty girl! How are you?"
The phone was silent. I had started to cry again and couldn't get any words out. Her voice turned to worry. "Honey? What's wrong?"
"The baby died." I sobbed.
I could feel the heart break on the other end as my mom started to cry, too. I can still hear her voice in my head. Oh, Honey, I am so sorry.
We talked for a few minutes and I asked her to call all my siblings and let them know. I told her I wasn't sure if I was up to talking to anyone yet, but that I wanted her to tell them.
We made our way over to Ryan's parents and fell into their arms. Was this really happening? They were good to take our kids outside while Ryan and I went upstairs and poured our heart and souls out in prayer. We realized the decisions that were ahead of us. We had about a day to decided when we wanted to deliver, and what we wanted to do with this baby's body. It wasn't long before my phone rang. I looked down to see that it was my Dad calling. I burst into tears again and almost pushed the phone away from me. The phone stopped ringing and Ryan encouraged me to call him back, he would want to talk to me. It wasn't a matter of not wanting to talk to him, it was how. I can't talk with tears. My dad offered wonderful love and support and I could feel his sadness. I remember clearly, him saying "If anything this experience will teach you compassion. Compassion to other mothers who lose their babies." That thought has always stayed with me.
We decided we'd bury this baby and we called Grandma Rodriguez to get permission to bury her in Grandpa's grave. She was more than happy, and so were we. We got in contact with a mortuary here and then the mortuary over in Utah. We got information on travel permits to be able to take this baby ourselves over state lines. I called my doctor's office back and told them that we'd come in the following night to prep for delivery.
The rest of the day was somber and it was hard to think that I was carrying a baby that wasn't alive. It was hard to control the deep sadness that we felt as a family. It was a quiet evening, but as phone calls came in from my sisters, the Relief Society President came by, I felt I was being carried. My spirits were higher and I felt that I could conquer the following days and their events.
It was Wednesday morning, November 7, 2007 that our baby girl was delivered. I was nervous to see her little body and wondered what she would look like, but as I held that tiny body, I was overcome with love and sadness at the same. Love that here this little baby had a perfect body that I could hold, and yet deep sadness that she wouldn't have the opportunity to grace our home.
The following days, weeks and months were difficult - to say the least. We had no clue what this experience would bring emotionally. I have to say though, that one of the hardest parts was seeing Ryan grieve. It was a week after Baby Honey was delivered where I wanted to send his family an email asking for support and love for him. My mom was calling everyday to check-in on us and my siblings were calling often as well. But what about my husband? I've learned in this situation, that most people worry about the mother and how she's doing. I think Ryan had the shorter end of the stick. I believe I was prepared for this somehow, but he on the other hand, was blindsided. He needed support too, maybe even more that I did. To this day, I regret not sending that email. The experience wasn't really talked about here, more because I don't think they knew what to say. And, for some reason in my mind it felt as if, if no one asked, no one cared. I knew that they cared, but I know it would have helped to ask for that support.
I sit here amazed that it has already been two years. The first year, there wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think of her. Sadly, I find that although time has made it easier, it takes us further away from this experience. Like my Dad said, it has taught us compassion. More than I could understand before. This experience brought Ryan and I closer together as a couple, as parents to our children. This sweet baby is a a great reminder that we have someone cheering for us. Waiting for us. Our baby Honey Mary.


14 comments:
Hon, if I were there I'd wrap my arms around you in a big hug. I love you. Thank you for sharing a very personal and tender moment with all of us.
David and Rebekah are going through a similar experience right now, and I always wonder what I can do to show love and understanding, you know how you don't really know what to say, but you love them so bad it hurts?
Love you.
Okay, if I can see to type a comment. Thank you so much for the loving reminder of baby Honey. I can't imagine the heartche that you all must have felt and still feel.
I love this quote:
"Even if you cannot always see the silver lining on your clouds, God can, for He is the very source of the light you seek. He does love you, and He knows your fears. He hears your prayers. He is your Heavenly Father, and surely He matches with His own the tears His children shed."
-Elder Holland
Love you guys!
I feel closer to you and your experience with baby Honey by reading this - thank you for sharing with us. Love you guys.
Honey, thank you for sharing this experience. Technically I wasn't part of the family yet, but I was aware of what happened. I don't think I ever said anything to you about it. But I want you to know that even then I cared and I promise Aaron cared too but I doubt he said anything either. I don't think either of us really understood. Now that I am on the track to motherhood myself, I want to apologize. I can imagine the pain.
If you ever want to chat, feel free to call. I am just chillin at home all day. And as soon as my strength comes back and this baby finally arrives, I plan to come play with you guys A LOT more!
Honey you are amazing! I love both you and Ryan!
Oh honey. I'm so sorry. I loved this post. Filled in so many blanks during a time that we were too distant to understand what you guys were going through. I'm so glad that you wrote it all down. Lovely and hard memories. Thank you for sharing.
I love you guys. I can't even begin to imagine what that must've been like. I remember once you saying that your greatest fear in life was to lose one of your children. Amazing isn't it? You've been through it and you've survived it. Not only survived it, but grew from it and showed us all that we could survive it too. You're a great example. Hugs and Kisses to you all.
We think about her everytime we pick up the phone in our kitchen. We have kept her announcement there...not a glamorous place but somewhere she will not be covered up or lost in our hearts and minds. We love you!
Ok, I read this this afternoon between getting the kids snacks. I was sitting here bouncing Seth on my lap and BAWLING my whole way through. tears, heaving, the whole bit.
All I can say is I LOVE YOU! and I am so glad you have written this down. Thank you thank you thank you for sharing it.
Honey--thanks for sharing your experience. I can't even imagine what you guys went through! My regret is that I didn't really know you very well at the time and I didn't know the details of what you guys went through. Wish I could've done something at the time, but if you ever need anything now, we're here. You amaze me in so many ways. This will just be added to my long list!
*HUGS* Thank you Honey for putting into words your feelings and recollections. I still ache for you and Ryan and can totally relate on how "moms" get treated when something is going wrong with a baby. It was so hard on Curtis when Joel had to have surgery, I had to convince him to have another kid. He didn't want to go through the worry again and we had everything go right! Extra hugs for Ryan. :)
Your sweet spirit, and happy attitude are what impress me most. I know this experience made you even more amazing than you were, thanks for being fabulous! I'm sure your baby Honey is so proud to be your daughter. :)
Thank you, everyone, for your sweet comments. It's definitely because of incredible family members and great friends that carry us through seemingly unbearable trials. I am so grateful for each one of you and the blessing you are in my life. I love you all and appreciate your continued love and support - you gals are the BEST! Thank you for letting me share my heart's thoughts with you.
Thank you Honey for sharing this with all of us. We love you and our hearts and prayers are with all of you. Love you, love you. Mom and Dad
Honey,
Thanks for posting this. I remember being there for the memorial service. You and Ryan are so strong and I loved basking in the love that you have for your family. I love you and Ryan and the kids so much. Miss you. Thank you for your incredible example and reminding me of the wonderful life that is to come, even after our lives seem so overcome with grief and pain. You are beautiful. Love you!
Your post made me cry. Thank you Honey for sharing.
Post a Comment