Thursday, March 18, 2010

Just Give Me An Hour

I have been in complete project mode. I've learned now that I am the kind of person that needs instant satisfaction, so if the project takes longer than about an hour, I fade and lose interest. Luckily, I've found things that have taken about an hour and have been very inexpensive.

I found a dresser at Goodwill for $20. I already had the paint at home and found the knobs at target for only $4.28. A quick sanding and we were good to go.

Before (top drawer out, already painted)

After


Next, I busted out the serger the other day and whipped these out for Angela and I.


I don't think I've ever made burp cloths as I've inherited a lot, but they're all pink so we certainly needed some blue. Very simple and quick.


This next project was done in two steps. The first was done a while back where I took pictures of the kids and mod podged them onto canvas. The didn't turn out as well as I would have liked, but I still enjoy looking at them - they hang across from our bed. The vinyl lettering was added just last week. I still need to figure out Rylee's picture. I've done her picture several times now and actually have two that I go back and forth on. One's too dark, the other too light and not as close-up of her as I would like to match the others. Some day though.

(sorry the lighting isn't great in most of these photos, but you get the idea)

I'm anxiously awaiting my next project - prepping and painting our new front door. I still need to buy the paint (Black!) and have Ryan drill the holes for the new lock set (that we've had for about 2 years now), but the weather has been so nice I really need to get cracking!

I've also had a wreath idea floating around in my head for the past week that I'm anxious to get to as well. I haven't decided yet though to put it up on a wall, or put it on the door...or maybe I'll put it up on the wall and wait until the door is finished.

Either way, stay tuned.

10 comments:

Lynsey said...

Good Job! I am going to send all my unfinished projects to your house. :) I really luv the pics over your bed, that is such a cute idea.

Charisse said...

Such fun projects! Can't wait to see your wreath and to see you guys on Monday.

Hilary and Evan Biddulph said...

I love the dresser!!! I need to learn some things from you! hope you are feeling well.

Lanette said...

Love them all! It totally makes me want to run to DI for some great furniture! So, what do you do about the old dresser smell? Any tips?

You are totally crafting it up out there! I've realized that I, too, am a one hour sort of crafter. Amen to quick results. Love you.

Honey said...

Lanette, I haven't noticed the old dresser smell yet..maybe the paint was too overpowering.. I wonder if you could sprinkle some baking soda or something in there for a bit before the dresser is used? or maybe scented contact paper? (do they even make that?) hmm...now I have to go smell the dresser...or maybe I won't.. :)

Angela said...

Way to go Honey! I wish I could be pregnant like you. I am just to exhuasted to even think about doing anything like that. THanks for the burb cloths! I can't wait to use them!

Carla said...

What talent you have! What an inspiration you are! Totally makes me want to do fun stuff like that. In the meantime, I'll admire your projects. ;) Miss you guys! Love ya! Can't wait to see you!

Christina said...

The dresser looks great! I love one hour projects!

Kent Kate & Afton said...

I love projects, but I fade fast too. (especially being prego)

Charisse said...

Thanks for your help!