Lucy leaving for her first day of pre-school with Miss Terry.
Lucy was really excited to start school. Although she didn't know any of the 7 other kids, she started without hesitation...until last Friday. She woke up determined that she wasn't going to go to school. Not feeling ill, and 5 classes already under her belt, I thought she was just being stubborn.
Just after the older kids left for school she was laying on my bedroom floor and asked where her heart was. I told her it was in her chest. She asked on which side. I told her closer to the middle. She continued laying on the floor declaring she wasn't going to school.
As I moved around the house she followed still proclaiming she wasn't going to school. Finally, after my several inquiries (and even some bribery) I told her she needed to go to school.
Lucy (whining): But we have to pledge allegiance. I don't know it.
Me: Lucy, I dont' think any of your friends know it. You're all learning it.
Lucy: But I don't know which arm?
Me: Which arm?
Lucy: yeah, I don't know which arm to put over my heart.
Me: oooohhh (finally! understanding) it doesn't matter which hand you put over your heart.
Lucy: I don't know which hand!!
Me: Lucy, use that hand (pointing to her right hand. She's right handed).
Lucy: I DON'T KNOW WHICH HAND!
Me: Do you want me to draw a heart on your hand? The one to use to pledge allegiance?
Lucy: yes.
Me: do you want to go to school now?
Lucy: yeah.
Me: go get dressed then.
I must say that I'm grateful for the reminder of the stresses of learning new things. Especially 4 year old stressors. Poor girl. It just took a while for her mom to understand.
I learned shortly after talking to Ryan that you're supposed to use your right hand. Oh. I didn't know that.
I'm Canadian.


4 comments:
Love the picture of the heart in her hand. So sweet.
Awww! That is so cute! Isn't it interesting how these small things can bother them so much? I'll bet my stresses and worries are like that too.
That's really sweet! Cute idea to draw a heart on her hand. I can't believe she's 4! Weren't we just watching lacrosse games totally pregnant?
I missed this on my scroll. So cute. I am amazed at what little kids stress about. Blake thought he might get sent to detention on his very first day. What??!!
Love you!
Post a Comment