Thursday, July 28, 2011

Remembering Grandma

This is Grandma.

One week after my last post, she passed away in the arms of my Grandpa.

She was a delightful lady. No one smelled or was as tender as Grandma. Even brushing the 'snarls' out of our hair, she was gentle. She made the best bread and rolls and eating her bottled peaches was a treat. She was soft spoken and kind, and a great example to me serving her family.

Her home always smelled good (the bread, ). Her basement was filled with toys and her laser discs and video library were hard to beat. Everyone loved to be at Grandma's.

Even as I've become an adult and it had been years since I'd been to her house, it all felt very familiar. The only thing missing was her. Grandpa sat at the table and welcomed us when we arrived late Wednesday evening. He shared with us Grandma's last moments. So tender.

Aunts, uncles and cousins came from near and far and it was such a sweet reunion. One like we know Grandma was having with her relatives. All but 2 of the 28 grandchildren were there (minus some spouses and children). It was wonderful to reminisce and learn how she and Grandpa met - I didn't know! I learned so many things spending that time together. Like how I have Grandma's feet - from high arches to weird, weird toe nails. (Sorry Grandma.) Or, how my Grandpa has a sweet tooth even stronger than mine! Glad to know it's genetic :) (He convinced us to eat strawberry pie at midnight, people!). I'm grateful that Henry was able to meet him - his name sake.

I have so many memories that I hold dear. She was so wonderful.

Grandma, we love you.

Grandpa and Grandma
June 30, 1949

No comments: