Tuesday, January 10, 2012

And So It Begins

It has begun.
I could tell a couple weeks ago that something was up when Rylee would tell me that her friends were getting love notes.
She wasn't acting jealous, but I think she was subtly trying to bring something up.
I played it cool and reacted casually.

Last Thursday, Rylee was lingering while I was making dinner.
I made small talk to she if she would open up - I knew she wanted to talk.
Finally, she asked how old I was when I first liked a boy.
There it was.

I smiled and looked at her.
She was a little embarrassed, but I asked who he was.
She told me his name and showed me his picture in last year's yearbook.
Cute kid.

Right after school, I got a text from Rylee.
He asked me to be his girlfriend! What do I do?? Help me!
(Me) Your mom says your too young.
I know! What do I do!!!

We exchanged texts while she informs me that her friends already told him yes.
Here comes Mama Bear.
Tell your friends to stop!

It's a good thing Ryan had been included in the texts because I could feel myself losing my cool.
This surprised me.
But more surprisingly, Ryan coolly and calmly says
Just tell him you're not ready for a boyfriend (but then, of course, adds) and that your Dad will ground you forever.
Okay. That works.

Now to schedule The talk.
I've been afraid of this.
I thought I had more time.

Any advice?
Blah.

6 comments:

Charisse said...

Oh cute, cute Rylee. Such a good girl to ask you what to do. I am afraid my Ashley would have been kissing the boy already. :)

Good luck! I see this all the time when I substitute teach 5th and 6th grade. The drama!!

Love you!

Christina said...

There's a book that I got from the library by Richard and Linda Eyre - How to Talk to Your Child About Sex: It's Best to Start Early, but It's Never Too Late -- A Step-by-Step Guide for Parents
Good luck :)

Topsy said...

Ha haha ha ha ha ha !!!!
Good luck!

She is super cute. Start talking and never stop :)

Honey said...

Thanks, Christina! :)

Lanette said...

Oh, sweet girl. Darn it, she's too beautiful. She's going to have this problem A LOT! I'm going to have to call you about cell phone stuff and kids. Does she have her own phone, etc. So glad Ryan came to the rescue. Good luck for the next 10 years:)! Love you.

Carla said...

Haha! Your and Ryan's responses made us laugh! So what did Rylee end up telling the boy?? We love you guys!