Yesterday was a gorgeous day; the perfect day to BBQ. It wasn't until about 430 though that I whizzed off to Costco for the goods. Ryan texted a friend to see if they could join us. After the goods were stuffed around a sleeping Henry in the Costco cart, Ryan texted me to let me know that our friends couldn't make it.
( Insert complete mood shift.)
Now grumpy, I still continue onto the next store. Making it home around 5:30 I started thinking of others I could invite. (Who invites people to dinner at 530?) Now, I'm a complete grump, angry that I hadn't taken action sooner in the day. Meanwhile, I'm praying as I unload the groceries that I can work myself out of this bad, bad mood.
Putting groceries away, I shrugged and shrugged the ideas of people I could invite. It was getting so late.
6:09 I get a text from a friend about Wednesday. I shoot back,
Getting ready to bbq - have you guys eaten?
N0--we're freaking starving. What can we bring?
Everyone (me) is happy again. I rush to get things ready and in no time we have friends in our house and a person for (almost) each kid to play with. It isn't long before my friend gets a call from her oldest daughter. She's coming with her boyfriend. Sweet, the more the merrier (and now I get to meet the boyfriend.)
We start eating. We eat with our friend and another teenage daughter inside while all the kids are eating on the deck - probably to spy on the oldest daughter. ;) They eventually come in a join us. Ryan mentions family home evening and the oldest daughter explains they have to go. Ryan teases and says they can't go before the lesson.
We tease back and forth but then gather the children inside for the lesson. Sweet oldest daughter is now shifting a little in her chair not ecstatic about doing this with her boyfriend who doesn't really know much about Mormons. Oldest daughter herself isn't too sure about the church right now.
Ryan and my friend move to the living room with all the littles. I stay back at the table with the two teenage daughters and the boyfriend. Ryan starts the lesson about prayer and moves on to the Joseph Smith story. Not long after, I watch the boyfriend move with his girlfriend to the couch to hear more.
Impressed, I'm still sitting with the younger teenage daughter trading scripture references, But just as we promised, short lesson, big treat.
We finish and give the kids their ice cream. They go running off outside. Now we've all moved to the living room. The boyfriend, still on the couch, says he wants more lesson. (Big smile.) Ryan asks what he wants to know. Ryan shares about the Restoration of the Gospel. Being a fairly religious person himself, Boyfriend still wants to know more. Ryan asks if he knows why we're called Mormons. Ryan then introduces and explains the Book of Mormon and gives him a copy.
Best night ever.
That's the to-the-point-version of the evening, but God hears our prayers. My prayers and your prayers. He cares about me and my bad moods. He cares about you, too. If you've forgotten that, fix it. :)
Ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto to you.
Hello world!
2 years ago


2 comments:
so awesome. so incredibly awesome. love it.
I love this. Hit just the right chord with me today! And I agree that being in the mood/mindset to have friends over and then not being able to find anyone to come is really disappointing!! I'm glad it worked out so well.
Post a Comment