January brought more wrestling for Clay just over at the high school .Clay’s desire to wrestle seemed to wane near the end. He didn’t want to go to practice much, but only preferred the meets. Nice try. He picked everything up pretty quickly and it was fun to watch him. Not so much for me at the beginning. I didn’t like seeing kids all twisted up and watching their eyes as they struggled – Clay included. Ryan was in heaven. I told him I wanted to video some of Clay’s matches; especially his first ones. Ryan said he would. First words out of my mouth, “are you sure you won’t be too loud ?” To which he responded, with a grin, “no I’m just going to watch.” Yeah right.
Warming up at the last meet.
January thru March brought Young Women basketball for Rylee. She was invited to play as an 11 year old – turning 12. She wasn’t so sure about playing in the beginning, but once she decided to actually play, she blew us away. She’s fast and feisty. One of the games she caused 6 turnovers! She was never afraid to get right in there and swipe the ball away. She’s on her way to being quite the little point guard.
I was graced with another year coaching the YW. Our team dynamics couldn’t have been more different this year than last. Our team was huge – enough for two full lines plus subs. And, all of those girls were Beehives, but 3! Isn’t that awesome? (wink) We won a few games and some how still made it to the Stake Championship game. You wouldn’t believe how much these girls improved, it was an awesome season.
Rylee loves basketball, and certainly didn’t stop with YW basketball. On March 4th, her middle school held a tournament Hoops for Heart to raise money for the Heart Association. Rylee was quick to help form a team. Twenty-four teams entered.
Each team played a series of 4 minute games to see where they would start in the tournament. We were thrilled to see Rylee and her team go to the semi-finals and finish 4th over all. I was really impressed watching these 6-8th graders play. Most could show me up any day.
About a week later, Rylee came home from school with a cool little trophy. She’s ready for next year.
(Love how I didn’t get any action shots of either Rylee or Clay? yeah, awesome. We do have video though;)


3 comments:
So cool. Look like you have some ballers on your hands. Fun to see their talents shine.
Way to go Rylee and Clay!!!!
Awesome! Keep going Rylee and Clay! You are incredible athletes! Can't wait to hear more :)
Post a Comment