Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My plans are being foiled...

I went to my last OB appt today. I know! No changes from last week tho - no more dilation or effacement. Bummer. But, I did have my last weigh in. Hallelujah! I've never weighed more in the my life, but then again, this isn't the most I've gained in a pregnancy...make sense? We're scheduled for induction Tuesday night. We'll go to the hospital and get 2 rounds of the antibiotics going and then start the pitocin in the morning. So hopefully not much later, we'll get to see our babe! We're all so excited to get Mom L out here too. She comes on Monday (unless we need her sooner!) YAY!

Anyway, back to my plans being foiled. First, I got everything I wanted with Lucy. There were four specific things I was hoping for:
1. to have my water break. It had never happened with anyone else and I wondered what that would be like. (I actually didn't even know it had broken until the dr. checked me after a stress test.)
2. to have a more speedy labor. (the shortest one before then was still 8 hours.)
3. Not to tear or need stitches (sorry tmi).
4. to have her during the day (it was actually the evening, but the nurses still come and bug you all through the night anyway!)

So with that said, there were some things I was hoping to do differenly this time, but alas, it's just not meant to be. And really, when it comes to health and safety, of course, those are #1! But these were the things I was hoping for and maybe you guys have some ideas/suggs for me too. Here goes:
1. Labor more at home - I seem to be at the hospital forever. But with Strep B, the minute you think you're in labor, you get youself right in. As my dr. said "don't piddle around." Ok.
2. I'm afraid to admit this, but ideally, I would love to see how far I can go without an epidural. Why? Because this is probably our last baby and if I didn't try, I think I'll always wonder...then again, once the pain hits - get me the epidrual!! I don't know... but pitocin is nasty!
3. I would like to labor out of the bed more, let gravity help. I've read that certain positions can be so much more helpful than just laying in bed, especially with back labor (which I've had everytime, but then I've had an epidural and have been able to rest too...). However, being induced, I just found out that once they start the potocin, I need to be hooked up to the monitor. Blast. Maybe I'll try the rocking chair...? I dont know..

Btw, thanks for all your comments about the Strep B. It was all very helpful!

18 comments:

Christina said...

Good luck with everything - sorry it's not going exactly the way you wanted. But yay that the baby's almost here!

When you go in for the antibiotics I wonder if they would strip your membranes and then see if you went into labor before giving you the pitocin? But after pitocin you are going to have a hard time finding a nurse or doctor that would let you get out of bed, and I hear the contractions are pretty unbearable after the pitocin.

I had back labor with both of mine and being in the water really helped me - I wonder if they would let you do that with the antibiotics? Also getting Jason to push on the small of my back helped a ton.

Here's to hoping you go into labor on your own in the next couple of days!

Charisse said...

Good luck with everything. The most important thing is the safety of the baby. Let us know when she is here!

Livingstone Family said...

Hey, I'm more of a get-to-the-hospital-give-me-meds-flip-on-the-tube kind of laborer. Sounds like you're putting a lot of thought into it! I hope everything goes well, we can't wait for pictures and updates.

Topsy said...

I had back labor and I rocked on all fours, gave some relief to my back. But I think all labor is to some extent back labor since the uterus muscles are attached in the lower back.

I agree with Christina about the pushing on the back, very helpful. Sometimes I would just wedge myself against the kitchen counter.

I hope it goes wonderfully, and no matter what happens here's to that beautiful baby coming out healthy and strong!

Humphries said...

I had the pitocin and I made it 16hrs. before I needed the epidural. I had a hardtime b/c the pitocin was strong and my cervix wasn't dialating, so my body was in 2 different stages of labor. Hopefully yours will go better since your already progressing.

My doctor would let me out of bed for 10-20min. every hr. after they had started the pitocin, and they let me use the jacuzzi tub(yeah). I hope it goes well for you.

Maggie said...

Well, I can tell you that my sister, Flori went natural with her last baby. I can't remember now if you were just wanting to see how long you could wait or if you wanted to see if you could go without completely. Anyway, I bet she could tell you if she thought it was a good idea.
As for the moving around thing, I know what you mean... that didn't even occur to me with Gracie but I was hooked up to the monitor anyway.
I can't believe this baby will already be here on Tuesday! How exciting!

Marcie said...

Okay ~ I was induced with Morgan and pitocin is NASTY if you don't have an epidural!!! That's putting it mildly. I never ended up getting one because they waited too long to get it to me, but I was literally crying for it! My suggestion ~ no epidural or waiting to see how long you can go is overrated and not worth it when it comes to pitocin! YOU WANT AN EPIDURAL!!! Otherwise it kills like a mother every time you have a contraction. If you wait too long they may not be able to give it to you and trust me you WANT it! I hope I haven't scared you too much, but I hope that I've scared you enough to get an epidural. Trust me Honey - you want one!

We're so excited to see our little niece! We can hardly wait to see pictures. We'll call you! Love ya!

Natalie Warner said...

WOW! You've thought a lot about what you want. I guess on the last baby you want it all, right? I'm excited you're having a girl and maybe my girl can be great friends with her. You look great! Good luck with everything. I'll see you around and hope to help in any way if I can.

Charisse said...

Okay, Honey I totally have a bunch of blogs for you. Debbie Chris added me as a friend on facebook and she has a blog, Debbie Balls (Calkin) has a blog and Lindsey Spencer has a blog. I already added them on my blog so you can just get the addresses from that. I was being a total blog stalker. Oh and Lanette is on facebook too. Love you guys!

The Henwood's said...

I can't really give you much for advice! My longest start to finish was 4.5 hrs and that was with Jace...it cut in half every time and Emma was 45 minutes from the time I was induced and started on the pit and I was adamant about having the epidural started at the same time because I expected to go so fast. With Lauren I was on the pit and I went too far too fast for the epidural..talk about passing through the valley of the shadow of death! (Which is why I was so adamant with Emma!) But I survived and you will too! Remember Jeannie didn't even do an epidural until Sicily! You will be fine whatever you decide..just know there is no turning back once you are so far into it! Love you! You will be great!

Debbie and Bobby said...

Such a cute family! (I found your blogs n Charisses, hope you don't mind *blush*)

I'm going to call you super mom! Number 5 Wowee, I'm impressed. Way to go and good luck with the excitement to come! Feel free to check out our blog!

www.mackenzie4family.blogspot.com

Love,
Debbie

Janelle said...

Good luck Honey! I hope you have a great time!!! We can't wait to meet your newest girl!

Vegas Fitness Girl said...

WOW it's been a long time. At least 10 years I think. We moved away from Michigan 10 years ago this year. Your kids are so cute!! I am glad we are back in touch again..maybe now we can not let another 10 years go by:)

Vegas Fitness Girl said...

oh, and I added your blog to my link list so don't think I am a blog stalker:)
Congrats on your new baby by the way--Can't wait to see pictures!

Vegas Fitness Girl said...

I had Strep B with Tyler..the funny thing is though I didn't even know I had it! I was tested of course, but my doc never told me the results so I didn't rush to the hospital or anything when I started going into labor. I found out myself I had Strep B when I was in labor at the hospital! Long story short, I didn't get enough anti-biotics b/c my labors are VERY fast. (my husband and doc barely made it--it was almost me and the nurse), Tyler was showing signs of the infection so he was in the NICU for almost a week! He was in the NICU for 3 days, he was discharged, we went home was very lethargic the next day. He didn't eat for HOURS, didn't open his eyes or anything. He went back to the hospital for 3 days. It was so hard but everything was fine. Just get to the hospital fast so you can get anti-biotics and you will be good! Sounds like your labors are long enough to get the 3 doses of anti-biotics--see having long labors is a good thing:)

katieo said...

OH my gosh Honey. I'm the same way. I'm always curious about how far I could make it. (but of course still want to be able to have the epidural). I also want more to be walking around...it just seems like you get to the hospital, they hook you up and that's that...if things slow down - then pitocin it is.

Anyway, This was posted on the 3rd so I'm guessing you've already been through this though (?) maybe not...
If you haven't yet - GOOD LUCK - I hope everything goes smoothly.
If you have - well, no matter how it went, hopefully you've got a cute healthy baby now! (?)

Aaron and Angela said...

"So what does effaced mean?" hehe :)

Maggie said...

So, I guess today is the big day. Can't wait to hear your update and see pics of your beautiful girl.