Monday, November 10, 2008

What's for Dinner?

Thanks to my friend Lorianne, one of our enrichment groups is a email recipe exchange - "what's for dinner?" So great! If any of you out there are like me, I dread dinner time. Maybe it's because I'm dead tired as 4pm rolls around, or that I don't plan ahead or have a menu, or maybe because I have the pickiest son ever! It drives me nuts to make him dinner just to have him snuff his nose at it, whine, and claim he doesn't like it. Dinner time is such a struggle for me. I won't go as far as to say I hate it, but if I could get some more ideas and perhaps plan a menu for the week or even the month, I think it could be a lot better. So here's my question to you:

What's for dinner? What are you eating tonight, or this week?

7 comments:

Livingstone Family said...

Honey, I share in your dislike of making dinner. Dinner time is a not-so-happy time at our house, which is such a shame! John is gone late most nights now, so he's not home for dinner anymore, which makes it all the harder on myself to fight alone with no one to stand up for me! Anyway, my mom has a family recipe blog, it's at www.themagicrecipebox.blogspot.com She has shared many of our family's favorites. I need to get some of my "tried & true" up there somethime soon. As for tonight? Shepherd's Pie from the new Kraft magazine-- I'm preparing now to eat alone tonight!

Megan said...

I highly recommend a dinner exchange. For four years now, Janelle, Rachelle, and I have swapped dinners once a week. I cook on Tuesdays, and take dinner to both of their families as well. Wednesday and Thursday I get dinner dropped off to me. Sound wonderful? It is!!!! Sometimes we go all out, and make a really nice meal...sometimes it is Papa Murphy's pizza. We are all busy, but the best part is not having to think about it or worry about what to make. We do occasionally have to bake something or cook some rice, but it is all there and that is so nice! I highly recommend it!

Maggie said...

We had navajo tacos tonight. I just buy some frozen roll dough and put out enough for my family (tonight I started late so I put the dough in a slightly warm oven so it would rise faster). Then I warm up some oil and make scones.
For toppings, I use a can of chili, tomatoes, lettuce, and salsa/sour cream to top it (oh, and cheese). This is really easy and a fun alternative to regular tacos. I dread thawing meat because I never think of it early enough so I like that I don't have to do it when I make these.

Maggie said...

Campbell's kitchen online (campbell's soup) also has lots of recipes and also a cost calculator for meals it recommends.

Charisse said...

I am the worst person to ask about meals. When Eric is home for dinner we have enchiladas, baked potatoes, meatloaf etc. When he is not home until later, I am a short order chef making each child what they want. It works for me and I don't have to hear them whine. I hate whining and crying.

The Henwood's said...

I too hate having to decide "what's for dinner"! We get stuck eating about the same handful of things for the very reason-I do not want to hear the complainers! I LOVE the dinner exchange idea-don't know that my kids would-but I sure would! Sometimes the crock post is your best friend! Last night I made stroganoff-which we haven't had for a while and yes half the kids just ate plain noodles with cheese and their corn muffins. (Why I love date night! Someone else makes the food!)

Humphries said...

I am right there with you, I have such a terrible time deciding what to make. My sister in law created this blog that is all recipe's and most of them are pretty easy and all are quite tasty. You can get to it through our blog it's the one titled family recipes.