You know, it's a good thing I'm recording these birth stories now because I feel like my memory is going. I hope it comes back some day. But really, if you know my family history, it's not...
I remember coming back from the temple to my parents house to pick up Rylee and we told my mom #2 was on it's way. I had taken the Fall semester off after Rylee was born and so when Winter semester started I was ready to finish my last semester and graduate.
I had a feeling Clay just may be a boy as I didn't have the slightest morning sickness or nausea. Holy cow what a difference than with Rylee - and an incredible blessing so I could finish up and graduate. My stomach grew faster (not unusual the second time around) and I carried lower. We were thrilled to find out he was a boy, due October 30/31st.
On Ryan's birthday (a Tuesday, the 22nd), I had the nurse practitioner strip my membranes. That evening when we had family over to celebrate Ryan's birthday. My sisters asked how the procedure went and I said it was fine. I didn't hurt. They looked at me and informed me that if it didn't hurt (and I wasn't contracting), the NP hadn't done it right. They told me to go back to Dr. Baird and have him do it.
I called the next day and had Dr. Baird try. Yeah, it hurt. Nothing like a teeny tiny reminder of what's coming up. Ryan and I walked around to get the contractions going. We prepared Rylee to stay with my parents for the night.
One of the reasons we started seeing Dr. Baird was because my sister delivered with him and he was awesome. When Marcie was pregnant, she was having contractions, but when arrived at the hospital, they stopped. Dr. Baird admitted her, gave her the epidural and started the pitocin. He hung out with Marcie and Brackon the whole night. They had a great time. Sounds like a fun delivery to me.
So, around 10 I felt like my contractions were consistent and we went to the hospital. Why not go for a completely pain-free labor? Well, my doctor had me walk around because I wasn't dilating. AFter an hour, because of no change, I was sent home.
I talked to my mom and she told us to keep Rylee with her, just in case something happened. Discouraged and grumpy I cried getting into bed. It was just a matter of minutes, the contractions changed. The only word I've been able to describe this change was as bone-crushing. I thought my hips were caving in. Holy cow. I waited to see if more contractions were coming. They were coming alright and I told Ryan we had to go back. I walked back in the hospital and sure enough I was dilating. Because it was close to midnight now, the anesthesiologist had just gone home - to Alpine. They said he could be back in about an hour. No way. I needed him now. I wasn't going to have back labor again without anything! They gave me some drug (Staldin?) and although it offered some relief during the contractions I thought I was having an allergic reaction. The pattern on the wallpaper was swaying back and forth and I couldn't focus in on anything. I alerted Ryan and he informed me it wasn't a reaction, but the affects of the drugs. Yuck.
The man of the hour - the anesthesiologist, arrived. Glory be. I could sleep and got some rest. I don't remember when Dr. Baird came in (he did NOT stay and hang out with us..) and broke my water, but by 7:35 the pressure was incredible (I actually thought my epidural was wearing off, I was pushing that button like crazy!). I wondered if Clay was going to be born at the same time as his sister, 7:47.
He was ready to come and at 7:43 all 7 lbs 15 oz of Clay came out. He didn't look too big, but a full 2+ lbs bigger than Rylee. He was completely covered in white. They wiped him off and he was just as cute as could be. He nursed like a champ and gained weight like a pro. (By his 2 week appointment he was 9 lbs. and by 6 mos he was 19.5 lbs. He was our little brick - and my shoulders haven't been so defined since.)
He was such a mellow baby letting his sister continue getting all the attention she demanded. (But, what 16 month old doesn't.) They became the best of friends.
Clay, the past 9 years have seemed to fly by.
I remember holding you when you were just a few weeks old and sobbing that you'd have to leave on a mission.
In 19 years.
You're a great kid and well liked by so many.
You continue to make us laugh and at the same time want to pull our hair out, but here's no one like you.
We love you.
We are so happy you're part of our family.
Happy Birthday!


1 comment:
i do remember how big clay was and how cute it was when Rylee would get mad at Clay and say, "No,Cy,no Cy!"
Im so glad I could play a role in you and Ryan getting together. :)
Post a Comment