Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Changing Phases?

Saturday, we pulled out the big guns. We went through every inch of the kids' room. Through the closet, under beds and through each drawer. It took FOREVER! I guess going through all of the kids clothes upstairs, Ryan was inspired to go through the 5 tubs of clothes downstairs. You know, the clothes that are set aside that don't fit the next child yet (and you end up not even pulling out again because you forgot you had them...) you know. Well, when it came to our baby boy clothes, I finally gave up. I just dropped off the tub of ALL our baby boy clothes AND our baby girl clothes to two friends in the ward who just had and are having a baby soon. I should feel liberated right? I just de-cluttered and freed up some of the basement... In reality, I'm pretty sad. Did I make it worse by hanging on to them so long? We pulled out tiny little outfits that Clay would wear and teeny little dresses that have made it through from Rylee down to Olivia. People ask me all the time if I'm "done." When I was pregnant, I was pretty sure I was finished. Now, I don't know how to answer. But, did giving all my baby clothes away, just answer that? Maybe that's why it's been so tough. And, not that having done that completely rules out any more, but it makes my heart ache a little. Am I crazy?

9 comments:

Charisse said...

Go for one more! You guys make such cute babies, that one more would be great! Love you guys!

Al said...

I thought I was done too, but I think there is one more. I don't know how to tell if you are done. You just wait your whole life to be a mom and it is hard to close the door on that phase of your life. I think about all the things that we will be able to do when we are out of infant phase and it makes me excited.

Livingstone Family said...

Can't you just buy more stuff? You think you answered your question by getting rid of all your stuff, but doesn't your sadness really answer it for you??

katieo said...

yes. you are crazy. ;)

whatever you decide and whenever you decide it- will be right. It's tough either way!

Humphries said...

I think you should do what feels right for you and your family and you can always buy more stuff. You guys are amazing parents.

Lanette said...

I can't wait to see what happens down the road. I have no doubt that you will know what to do, when and if your supposed to DO something about it:) Confusing enough? I'm a lot of help, huh? Love you and trust yourself. You don't have to decide right this minute.

Topsy said...

oh honey! Did you save a few of your most favorite outfits/memories for the girls when they have their own daughters.

Maggie said...

That's interesting that you posted about this because my friend and I were having this conversation just yesterday. Her mom felt like she was done having kids and then decided to have another years later. I think it is hard to let go of every stage (especially if you know you won't get to experience it again).
I'm sure it is hard though to distinguish between the sadness to see a phase of your life end or a feeling like you want another child. You do make cute kids :)

Honey said...

Thanks for all your comments. We do make cute babies don't we? :) So, of course more wouldn't hurt. But, I think most of the sadness came from giving away things that gave me such wonderful memories, and then seeing how quickly our kids are growing. It's sad to think this phase may be over, but there's a reason we've had our children so close. They usually leave as quickly as they come :) Just different adventures right?